What Does Toxic Mold Look Like?

The commonly known toxic mold, is black mold, which is a very specific kind of mold. 

Black mold is the common name for a certain type of mold which is ‘stachybotrys’, it is thought to be more harmful to a persons' health than any other type of mold.

However, any mold can cause allergies in sensitive persons. While it is hard to say if black mold is indeed more dangerous to everyone than others, it is simply best to try to steer clear of having any mold in your home full stop. 

What does toxic mold look like?

Black mold is known as the ‘toxic’ mold, although there are some other molds that have the capacity to fall into this category.

It has the ability to cause allergies, such as a stuffy head, headaches, itchy eyes, sinus issues and in some people these things can become so severe that it makes their lives miserable.

It can also trigger some more serious illnesses such as pneumonia in a smaller percentage of people who have underlying medical issues. However, there are other molds that can also do this. 

So the big question is, how do you know which is which, and which molds are toxic? 

There is acremonium, which is considered a toxigenic mold type. This mold evolves its appearance over time, it will typically grow in humidifiers or cooling coils and window sealants.

It is often pink, gray, orange or white. It is a carcinogenic. Likewise, it can even grow alongside strachybotrys. 

Chetomium has the potential to be toxic, although not always, it is common in water damaged homes and has a cotton-like texture. It is often white, gray, brown and eventually black in color, changing color as it ages. 

Fusarium is a mold that can be allergenic or toxigenic. It grows in homes with water damage. It will grow in carpeting, wallpaper and on any other fabrics or materials. It is often pink, white, or sometimes reddish in color. It can grow naturally on food and compost. 

Stachybotrys is the most dangerous, and this is the typical black mold, it is dark green or black with a slimy texture, thriving in damp areas with high humidity.

It grows on woods, cardboard, paper, hay or wicker, as well as walls. It will often grow in dark patches, look blotchy and dirty. It will often look like someone has smeared mold all over the walls. 

What color of mold is dangerous?

Any mold has the potential to be dangerous. Every mold has the potential to affect your health and the health of those around you, especially for those with autoimmune disorders or already compromised immune systems.

If you find mold in your home it is imperative to do all you can to tackle it as quickly as possible before it becomes harder to deal with. 

However, if you find that mold has developed after some time, any colored mold can be dangerous. 

There is a mold called aspergillus, which is a very common mold found in American households. There are, however over 185 species of his mold and so it can appear in a whole multitude of colors.

This mold has long flat shaped spores that form thick layers and it creates a chain of mold growth along surfaces. It is an allergenic mold but can become more toxic depending on the species and the environment that it is in.

It is capable of leading to symptoms such as asthma attacks, lung infections and respiratory inflammation. Certain species of this mold are also capable of producing aflatoxins which are a deadly carcinogen. 

A lot of molds are harmful to those with compromised immune systems, and some people will have different reactions to mold than others.

The general point with mold is to not label certain molds as dangerous and some as safe, but to simply get rid of any mold you encounter in your environment as soon as possible, to prevent any possible problems that it could cause, regardless of the scale of the mold, the age of it in the place it is in, and whether you are healthy or not. 

Of course, it is well known that black mold is the worst of the worst. But in this sense it refers solely to stachybotrys mold which does cause health conditions.

However, molds such as aspergillus are just as dangerous and this mold can be any color. So it is simply best to avoid any mold, of any color, at all costs to prevent any danger at all.

If you see any mold in your home, call a specialist right away, even if it might be fairly harmless. Better to be safe than sorry.