Bleach can kill shower mold, but this totally depends on the surface on which the mold has grown.
Bleach works best on non-porous surfaces as a mold killer, and so, typically, if you have shower mold, then it is likely that bleach will be the best option for the removal of it.
This is because, in general, the materials within your shower will include tiling and glass. Bleach is excellent on these materials as they are both non-porous.
Likewise, bleach also works well as a mold killer on surfaces such as bathtubs or shower bases, and worktops.
If the mold in your shower is on a non-porous surface, then we are sorry to say that the removal process will not be as straightforward.
Shower mold on drywall or wood surfaces is much harder to deal with. This is because the mold is not just on the surface, but is right through the material.
Sure, the bleach will likely remove the visible mold for you, tricking you into thinking it has gone, but it is likely to be underneath the surface too.
Eventually, it will grow to the surface again. It is thought that the moisture from the bleach can actually feed the mold growth, too, exacerbating the problem further.
You should also consider that bleach, even on non-porous surfaces can be a health hazard, and so, many professionals advise seeking other methods of mold removal from your shower, such as borax, tea tree, and vinegar.
Does bleach kill black mold in the shower?
If you thought normal shower mold was a difficult one to remove, wait until you hear about black mold. This unsightly mold gets its name from its color. There is melanin in this mold, hence its dark appearance.
Black mold probably has the worst reputation of all the molds and has been linked to cases of pneumonia all over the world. In truth, there is no scientific evidence to confirm this, and in actual fact, it is likely to be just as harmful as the other types of mold you may have in your home.
The thing with black mold is that it very often grows on areas that are porous, thus making it more difficult to remove since it grows under the visible surface. Black mold in a shower can be easy or more difficult to remove, depending on the surface. On tiling and glass, and even your shower base, bleach may well be able to kill the black mold.
However, if the mold takes hold on a porous surface, then you may need to use a different method to kill it. This is because the bleach will not be able to penetrate the porous materials to get to the lower layers where the microflora of the mold would have already taken hold.
For this reason, you may have to use other black mold removal methods such as detergent and water, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, borax, vinegar, and even tea tree. All of these are better options for black mold removal that will also be safer for you and your family as they are less likely to emit toxic fumes.
How long can you leave bleach in the shower?
You should leave bleach in your shower for no longer than 10 to 15 minutes. The use of bleach causes numerous hazards. Sure, it is an excellent germ killer and can be used to great effect in cleaning your home.
However, it can also cause damage to any surface it touches, it can cause skin irritation, it can irritate your lungs, and the fumes can give off headaches. You can also get a very nasty chemical burn if the bleach comes into contact with your bare skin.
When used on your shower base, and even hardy porcelain surfaces, it can strip away layers and leave discoloration marks.
For this reason, you should never leave bleach, especially neat bleach (neat bleach is a bleach that has not been diluted with water but instead poured straight out from the bottle) on a surface overnight, or even more than 15 minutes.
When you are using bleach you should always follow the exact instructions given on your bottle. If it states that you need to dilute it, then do this using the exact amount they say. You should wear gloves and protect any visible skin. You should also take care not to get it on your clothes as it can ruin the material by dyeing it.
Always keep your bathroom window wide open to let in fresh air if you have put bleach in your shower. Leave the room whilst it is down, and always clean it up well, rinsing it with water after the 10 to 15 minutes is up.