Unfortunately, one of the most common places for mold to grow is in the bathroom, due to the high levels of moisture that are in the air.
This can cause a variety of issues, and it is something that you should try to get rid of if you spot any signs of it
Black mold is very unpleasant to look at, but it can also cause a variety of risks to your health, and you should try to do everything that you can to stop mold from growing in your bathroom.
There are a few things that you should be aware of when it comes to damp and mold, like whether it is dangerous, how it can affect your health, and what you can do to try and get rid of it.
We are going to give you information on all of these topics in this article.
Is Bathroom Mold Dangerous?
On average, mold is not likely to pose a major health risk to the average person, but any fungus can be allergenic.
You might develop an allergy if you are exposed to any type of fungus for a long period of time, which is why it is so important to get rid of any mold growth as soon as you can.
You should be worried about mold growing in your home, especially if you are sensitive to it, or you have existing asthma or allergic reactions.
Some of the health risks that are associated with mold are allergic reactions, like sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes, or a skin rash.
This can be especially irritating to you if you were to touch or inhale any spore, and this can lead to an asthma attack.
The people that are most likely to be affected by mold are children, the elderly, or anyone else that has any existing skin problems or respiratory issues.
According to studies, 42% of people have said that mold has triggered their asthma.
It is thought that if you experience any cold-like symptoms in warm and damp environments, then you are likely allergic to mold.
Is Black Mold Common in Bathrooms?
Black mold is common in bathrooms, as it is a fungus that will grow in any environment that is damp and warm. So, the bathroom is one of the most common rooms in a house for mold to grow.
Another issue with bathrooms is that there is very little air flow, which can worsen the effects of mold.
If you were wondering, the growth of black mold in bathrooms is mostly due to the fact that there is an excess of moisture in the air, which can start with a build up of condensation over time.
The warm and moist air that occurs will cling onto a cold surface and lead to mold growth.
Can Black Mold in the Shower Make You Sick?
Unfortunately for some, black mold in the shower can make you sick. Black mold can present a variety of different health risks for different types of people.
The effects can be mild for some people, or severely irritating for those that are sensitive to it. These people may become itchy and find it difficult to breathe.
If you are allergic to mold, whether you know it or not, you are more likely to experience negative side effects.
Some of these reactions can include a fever or shortness of breath. If you are immunosuppressed, you are more likely to be at a higher risk of developing an infection.
What to Do if You Find Black Mold in Your Bathroom
If you have spotted any signs of black mold in your bathroom, you will need to keep on top of it.
You can use a variety of cleaning products, like those that contain bleach or white vinegar, to stop this unwanted growth.
You should wear both gloves and a mask when you are cleaning any mold, as this will prevent you from inhaling any mold spores as you go.
Some things that you can do to prevent mold growth are:
- Use a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture in the air
- Make sure that any fans or vents in your bathroom are working
- Clean your bathroom often with products that will kill mold
- Make sure that you do not have any leaking pipes
- Check and change any air filters on a regular basis
If you are concerned about your health or a severe growth of mold, then you should contact a professional that can safely remove it.
Always try to pay close attention to your bathroom to catch any mold growth early on. If you do discover any mold, try to act as quickly as possible to prevent it spreading any further.
The faster you are able to get rid of it, the better.